Back to overview,Home naval-today Royal Navy’s Lynx helicopters fly their final mission View post tag: Royal Navy March 13, 2017 Royal Navy’s Lynx helicopters fly their final mission Authorities View post tag: Lynx With the decommissioning of Royal Navy Lynx helicopters set for March 31, 2017, the last Lynx to deploy – Flight 208 – returned home together with HMS Portland on March 10.Commander (Cdr) Phil Richardson the Commanding Officer of 815 Naval Air Station welcomed 208 Flight back into the fold amongst their family members, friends and colleagues.“They are the last Lynx deployed after a very successful history of Lynx helicopters being embarked and integrated within the Royal Navy’s Frigates and Destroyers. Their success and experience will be transferred across to the Wildcat as 815 completes its transition to this new aircraft type. Welcome home 208 Flight – last of the Lynx,” Cdr Richardson said.Flight Commander Lieutenant (Lt) Laura Cambrook landed back home at 815 Naval Air Squadron, Royal Naval Air Station (RNAS) Yeovilton having deployed on 20 June 2017 on HMS Portland.“It’s really great to be back after a very demanding but exhilarating deployment where we achieved 190 hours of flight. It’s been a very successful deployment and poignant too and I will miss the Lynx, she rattles a lot, is small and agile; it’s just a great little helicopter that so many of us love to fly,” Lt Laura Cambrook said.“The Wildcat is going to take over that mantle really well in a much, much more capable aircraft”.The Navy Lynx helicopters are scheduled to conduct a five-hour farewell flypast on March 17, RNAS Yeovilton announced.The flypast will be followed by a formal decommissioning ceremony the following week in Yeovilton before 815 converts into a Wildcat squadron, providing the Lynx’s successor for destroyers and frigates. Share this article
By Dialogo February 18, 2011 BRAVO!! Argentina and Brazil agreement for airplaines KC-390 IT’S ABOUT TIME. BUT I WOULD PREFER TO SEE MENEM AND CAVALLO LOCKED UP!!!!!! I hope Argentina keeps this up. The project to build the KC-390 military cargo plane, designed by Embraer, at the Fábrica Argentina de Aviones (Fadea), in the Argentine province of Córdoba, was a highlight of the joint declaration of cooperation signed by the defense ministers of Argentina and Brazil, Arturo Puricelli and Nelson Jobim. During the meeting between the two ministers in Buenos Aires, at which bilateral defense issues were discussed, Jobim confirmed that both countries will continue working on the project. “We’re going to continue developing the KC-390 with the Fábrica de Aviones in Córdoba, so that development can move forward and in order to participate more in the design of this aircraft, which is a plane of very great strategic importance,” indicated Jobim, who specified that the plane is designed to transport twenty-one tons and that “its first prototype will be in 2016, so that it will be on the market in 2018. This plane should be ready in 2018, because nearly 1,500 Hercules military transport planes are going to reach the end of their lifespan in that year.” The Brazilian minister added that “it’s important that Argentina participate in building the KC-390, because Brazil’s strategic policy in Latin America is one of collaboration.” The dates for the KC-390’s prototype and manufacture mentioned by the Brazilian minister indicate slippage from the forecasts previously used at Fadea. According to Embraer’s plan, the objective was to be that the aircraft would enter into service at the end of 2015, although Jobim mentioned that this would happen in 2018. Jorge Viqueira, one of the directors of the military manufacturer, has stated that another seventy-five technicians and engineers will be brought on board in the next two months as part of the process of cooperation with Embraer, to work alongside seventy-five engineers recently added to the project. “In the last few months we’ve been in the process of meeting a series of requirements regarding equipment, internal processes, and human resources, in order for Fadea to qualify as a supplier for this program with Brazil,” added Viqueira, who said that he did not know whether the ministerial meeting also included discussion of the proposal for the joint development of another primary training plane to be used by both countries and offered to other Latin American air forces. According to the Argentine Defense Ministry, other highlights of the issues discussed in the meeting included a variety of technological and industrial development projects, such as the Gaucho vehicle; the maintenance of naval turbines by the “Comandante Espora” National Shipyard; cooperation in the area of logistical support for the binational campaign for a nuclear-weapons-free South Atlantic; and strengthening the annual program of combined exercises and joint cooperation for aid to other countries. Jobim specified that the scope of this joint declaration will also include “agreements on knowledge transfer and the transfer of sensitive technologies, and for that reason, it will be necessary to sign a confidentiality document.”
Nicklas Bendtner’s classy hat-trick booked an enticing FA Cup quarter-final at Manchester United as Arsenal swatted aside Leyton Orient.Marouane Chamakh slotted an early opener before Bendtner’s superb header, then a curling finish, put Arsenal’s second-string in command.Bendtner’s cool third came from the penalty spot after Kieran Gibbs was tripped by Alex Revell in the box.Substitute Gael Clichy then lashed in low with 15 minutes remaining.League One Orient were routinely swept aside in this fifth-round replay, but Arsenal’s crushing disappointment from Sunday’s failure to collect their first trophy since 2005 – after losing the Carling Cup final to Birmingham – was hard to hide at a muted Emirates Stadium.The hosts initially looked like they lacked a spring in their step, but fears of further agony evaporated in the seventh minute with a goal of typical Arsenal quality.Irish debutant Conor Henderson – another ball-playing midfielder – probed for a gap through the back-line and the 19-year-old’s deflected pass was pounced on by Tomas Rosicky, who sped to the byeline to clip a square ball through the legs of Charlie Daniels across the box.Moroccan striker Chamakh held his position to coolly side-foot the ball through the legs of Terrell Forbes from eight yards out, right into the corner of the net, for his first goal since the end of November. Orient hit back soon after as Ignasi Miquel’s poor headed clearance fell for Ben Chorley.But his full-blooded volley was blocked by a crouching team-mate in front of Manuel Almunia, who nevertheless had it covered.Their best chance came when pacy Daniels twisted and turned down the left wing to whip in a dangerous low cross.Yet Revell misjudged his promising position in the area to put his point-blank snapshot wide from only six yards out.Bendtner had appeared marginally disinterested, but that changed during the course of an sparkling 20-minute spell from the Danish forward before half-time. His first goal, in the 27th-minute, was a superb effort as he leapt high to outmuscle Daniels before guiding a looping header past the reach of O’s keeper Jamie Jones from a floated Gibbs cross.With that, Arsene Wenger’s team took complete control.The second from Bendtner was even better that the first. Pouncing on a loose ball, he stalked into the area while teasing the ball just in front of Andrew Whing to find a gap before curling a low shot perfectly past Jones into the far corner.The hosts remained in second gear after the break although Orient, with impressive Daniels a constant outlet down the right, did at least show a sense of adventure.Abou Diaby should have added Arsenal’s fourth in the 50th minute after he danced round a host of defenders on a charge towards goal. But, after a fine one-two with Chamakh set him free inside the box, he dragged his low shot just wide.It finally came in the 62nd minute when Gibbs shimmied his way into the area only to be felled by Revell, who looked uncomfortable defending.Bendtner’s penalty finish was true and unerring as he completed his hat-trick before being taken off, though not before nearly gifting a goal to the east Londoners as he dallied while covering at right-back.One sour note was the withdrawal of Rosicky, who suffered concussion after a heavy collision.The 75th minute coup de grace was inevitable as injury-hit Arsenal, who host Sunderland in the Premier League before facing Barcelona away in the Champions League, pushed forward in waves. Emmanuel Eboue’s testing ball across the box evaded O’s defenders. Chamahk dummied and the ball just eluded substitute Jack Wilshere, but French left-back Clichy ran on to it like a stream train to propel a powerful low finish just inside the far post past overworked Jones.Source: BBC
Jason Botterill, who was hired as the Sabres’ general manager in 2017 after spending 10 years in the Penguins’ organization, has been relieved of his duties in Buffalo.The team announced the move Tuesday. The Sabres also announced they had named Kevyn Adams, previously the team’s senior vice president of business administration, as the new GM. It’s unclear what changed between then and Tuesday related to the “philosophical differences” that led to the decision.Sabres are currently paying three general managers, or the equivalent of 10 percent of the league’s GMs. https://t.co/y2UezHuAy4— Аrpon Basu (@ArponBasu) June 16, 2020Buffalo, which has not made the postseason since the 2010-11 season, saw its 2019-20 season come to an end when NHL commissioner Gary Bettman announced an expanded playoff format for the resumption of the season, which was suspended amid the COVID-19 pandemic. The 30-31-8 Sabres did not qualify for this year’s playoffs.In Botterill’s three seasons on the job, Buffalo finished eighth, sixth and sixth, respectively, in the Atlantic division. Sabres owners Terry and Kim Pegula released the following statement on their GM change:“This morning, we informed Jason Botterill he will no longer be the General Manager of the Sabres. This decision was made after many candid discussions with Jason during a full review of our hockey operation. We recognized we have philosophical differences regarding how best to put ourselves in a position to compete for a Stanley Cup. So, we decided to make this change.”We wish Jason and his family all the best moving forward, and we thank him for his time and energy devoted to our organization and to the City of Buffalo.”New General Manager Kevyn Adams and Head Coach Ralph Krueger already have a close working relationship and we are excited to see what they can do together as we reconfigure our hockey operations. We have the benefit of this long 2020 pause to take time to reorganize and re-energize our hockey department. We recognize the importance of this offseason with so many player decisions to be made.”We have had the pleasure of watching Kevyn build his post-playing career over the past nine years under multiple roles throughout our organizations. We are confident Kevyn and Ralph will work together to build a consistent contender. As always, we are here to provide the necessary resources.”Our fans deserve better, and we are all tasked with the burden to improve and provide them a consistent, contending team for years to come.”The move comes just a few weeks after Kim Pegula told the Associated Press that Botterill would return for what would have been his fourth season with the team in 2020-21.“I realize, maybe it’s not popular with the fans, but we have to do the things that we feel are right,” she said at the time. “We have a little bit more information than maybe a fan does, some inner workings that we see some positives in.”
Minister of Foreign Affairs in Uganda Okello Henry Oryem shares what he hopes to be the outcome of the Global Diaspora Summit 2012 taking place in Sandton City, Johannesburg. He also relays what Africa Day 25th May means to him. Click arrow to play video.
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest By Doug Tenney, Leist MercantileDemand bears were quite pleased with their positions during the month of November. It’s no secret that corn demand has been shrinking for consecutive months. Increased corn production in Brazil and Argentina have been stealing corn exports out of the U.S. In recent months U.S. corn export projections from USDA have shrunk several hundred million bushels. In addition, October and November weather in South America was non-threatening. There is no story to date of weather concerns, which might reduce production during their current growing season.The NASS Weekly Crop Progress Report of Nov. 25 had the U.S. corn harvest at 84% with the average at 96%. The weekly progress reports are scheduled to continue into the early weeks of December when typically they end around Thanksgiving.Both corn and soybean prices fell during November. Corn was down 18 cents, soybeans down 56 cents, while wheat was up 27 cents. The months long uncertainty of a U.S./China trade deal and lack of a completion date significantly fueled the decline for soybeans. During the entire month of November, commodity funds continued to increase the short corn positions they held into even larger short positions. At the beginning of the month they had been long soybeans but reversed those positions and now are short at the end of November.The patience of supply bulls is getting stretched thin as the Nov. 8 USDA WASDE Report did nothing to give them continued hope and confidence. They had been expecting to see corn rally above the $5 mark when planting delays were of record length reaching well into mid-June 2019. The June 28 Acres Report was extremely negative with corn acres substantially higher than traders had expected. The Dec. 10 WASDE Report shed zero light on corn acres. The historical perspective implicates it will mirror the Nov. 8 report as it details acres and yields.U.S. and China trade talks continue to dominate the news cycle. Earlier this fall it was thought a trade deal could be signed Nov. 15 in Chile during a conference of many nations. That conference was canceled, with Dec. 15 suggested as a signing date. At this writing in early December an agreement called Phase 1 is still in the works. The latest news has China demanding U.S. tariffs be rolled back as part of any Phase 1 trade deal. A week prior, China proposed that top U.S. negotiators visit China just prior to our Thanksgiving holiday for further talks. It appears President Trump now has a decision to make in regard to rolling back U.S. tariffs for a deal in which China would buy the same dollar amount of U.S. goods they purchased back in 2017.The African Swine Fever is still rampant in China with no end in sight. It has sharply reduced the amount of fresh pork Chinese consumers have been able to buy. When it first came on the scene in early 2018, early projections suggested it could reduce China’s hog herd 10% to 20%. China’s consumption of pork is almost entirely fresh and not frozen. Current indications suggest the reduction could be closer to 50% as the fever has spread to other Asian countries. Numerous U.S. government agencies have been working feverishly to protect our hog herds from this devastating disease. China has been importing vast quantities of pork from all around the globe, including from the U.S. The imports of replacement pork is certainly mind boggling as the numbers of planes required each week to bring in fresh pork has been staggering.Producers and traders alike are anxiously awaiting the Jan. 10, 2020 WASDE Report as well as the Quarterly Stocks Report as of Dec. 1, 2019. The question remains, “How will the unharvested corn acres in the Dakotas be accounted?” Some are suggesting it will be included with the on-farm category.
Man Utd defender Maguire deletes social media postby Paul Vegas21 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United defender Harry Maguire had a message for fans after the goalless draw at AZ Alkmaar on Thursday – but he soon deleted it.Maguire failed to get off the bench in the Netherlands as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer went with a central defensive partnership of Victor Lindelof and Marcos Rojo.That pair, as well as first-choice goalkeeper David De Gea, all did their jobs as the Eredivisie outfit were snuffed out despite having 12 shots on goal and four on target.The England defender tweeted: “A point away from home. Thanks for the support. See you Sunday.”However, following a backlash from supporters at what they saw as an overly positive reaction to a disappointing result, Maguire ultimately deleted the post, which isn’t visible on his Twitter account on Friday morning. About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Story Highlights Minister of Finance and the Public Service, Dr. the Hon. Nigel Clarke, said the programme will comprise three modalities – the provision of indigent housing; relocation of vulnerable communities; and the upgrading of Tenements/‘Big Yards’. “This represents protection of the vulnerable in action,” Dr. Clarke said, as he opened the 2019/20 Budget Debate in the House of Representatives today (March 7). The Government has allocated $1 billion to the Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation to support the implementation of an islandwide social housing programme across all 63 constituencies. The Government has allocated $1 billion to the Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation to support the implementation of an islandwide social housing programme across all 63 constituencies.Minister of Finance and the Public Service, Dr. the Hon. Nigel Clarke, said the programme will comprise three modalities – the provision of indigent housing; relocation of vulnerable communities; and the upgrading of Tenements/‘Big Yards’.“This represents protection of the vulnerable in action,” Dr. Clarke said, as he opened the 2019/20 Budget Debate in the House of Representatives today (March 7).He also informed that the Government is increasing its allocation to the Jamaica Integrated Community Development Project by 41 per cent or $627 million in 2019/20, and will spend a total of $2 billion on this project this year.“This project contributes towards increased community safety and violence prevention in 17 economically vulnerable and socially volatile communities and enhances access to basic urban infrastructure and services, including sanitation, water and electricity as well as youth development programmes,” Dr. Clarke said.In addition, the Government is increasing its allocation to the Poverty Reduction Programme by 174 per cent or from $349 million to $558 million in financial year 2019/2020.This project is the fourth phase of a programme supporting poverty reduction in Jamaica through grant funding from the European Union, the largest provider of grants to Jamaica.
zoom Danish shipping company Maersk Line plans to set up a new service between Asia and the United States West Coast, the TP1 service, effective September 15, 2016. As part of the service, six vessels with a capacity of 4,000 TEU would be deployed per week.The TP1 service will be part of the 2M alliance’s network of services.The TP1 Eastbound service will cover Yantian, Shanghai (China), Busan (South Korea), Los Angeles/Long Beach (US), while the port rotation of the TP1 Westbound service will be Los Angeles/Long Beach, Yantian, Shanghai, Busan.“We are responding to increased demand in the Transpacific. With supply chains disrupted, many customers are approaching us for transport solutions for their cargo. The TP1 service is a stable, long term solution to meet our customers’ needs,” Klaus Rud Sejling, Head of Maersk Line’s East-West Network, said.