€6000 fine for Cranberries singer over air rage incident

first_imgWhatsApp Twitter TAGSfeatured Previous article#GE16 O Dea denies urging voters to give Jan second preference votesNext articleHomeless thief robbed wheelchair user Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Advertisement Email Walk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April Dolores O’RioranDolores O’RiordanCRANBERRIES lead singer Dolores O’Riordan has been ordered to pay €6,000 to the court poor box within one week after a judge said that it would be unfair and unjust to leave her with a criminal conviction over an air rage incident on a flight from New York to Shannon over a year ago.Ms O’Riordan (44) with an address at Friarstown, Kilmallock had admitted three counts of assault and another charge relating to the obstruction a garda at Shannon Airport on November 10, 2014.Evidence had been heard in the case that the Limerick singer became unruly during the New York to Shannon flight.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Upon arrival, Ms O’Riordan assaulted two members of the airport police before she headbutted and spat at a garda who she falsely claimed had sexually assaulted her.She was arrested and later found singing in the custody cells proclaiming that she was the “Queen of Limerick”.In medical evidence presented to the court, Dolores O’Riordan was described as being in a hypomanic state at the time of the incident and could no be held responsible for her actions.In his ruling, Judge Patrick Durcan said that he was satisfied that Ms O’Riordan was suffering from a mental illness and thus inhibited her judgement.Ms O’Riordan was ordered to pay €6,000 into the court poor box within the week. Surgeries and clinic cancellations extended NewsBreaking news€6000 fine for Cranberries singer over air rage incidentBy Staff Reporter – February 24, 2016 1708 center_img Shannondoc operating but only by appointment Print RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Facebook No vaccines in Limerick yet Proceedures and appointments cancelled again at UHL First Irish death from Coronavirus Linkedinlast_img read more

255 Young People Benefit from Anti-Gang Sensitisation Sessions

first_img Approximately 255 young people benefited from the sessions, which were held across the island over two weeks from October 25 to November 7. These include youth offenders in juvenile centres, probationers, and unattached young people. The Ministry of National Security has intensified its efforts to tackle youth involvement in crime with the recent staging of six anti-gang sensitisation sessions.Approximately 255 young people benefited from the sessions, which were held across the island over two weeks from October 25 to November 7. These include youth offenders in juvenile centres, probationers, and unattached young people.Focus was placed on equipping the participants with life and entrepreneurial skills and conflict resolution techniques.The sessions, under the theme ‘Make the Choice to take a Chance and Change Your Life’, were a joint effort between the ‘We Transform Programme’ and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) aimed at deterring youth from engaging in illicit activities, especially gang involvement.Minister of State in the Ministry, Hon. Rudyard Spencer, said the initiative reflects a commitment to implementing programmes that deter youth from crime.This, he said, is in keeping with the Rehabilitation and Redemption and Crime Prevention through Social Development pillars of the Ministry’s five-pillar crime strategy.“The intention is to stimulate prosocial values, attitudes and behaviour. This approach will re-socialise mindsets and promote respect for self, others and community,” he noted.Acting We Transform Programme Manager, Steffani King-Halstead, told JIS News that the sessions were a success.She said that the objective was to “encourage the successful rehabilitation and reintegration of the children/youth who are in or have been in correctional facilities into society, through the We Transform Programme, and we are delighted to observe the impact of the sessions on them”.Daniel*, a probationer, who attended the final event at Hotel Grandiosa in Montego Bay, St James, on Wednesday (November 7), said that the session was “enlightening because it showed me how to stay away from negative influences, control my anger and also about conflict resolution”.The 19-year-old, who was sentenced to three years probation in 2017 for illegal possession of a weapon, noted that these initiatives are important in enabling youths to resist becoming involved in crime.“The Ministry has been important to persons like myself staying on the straight and narrow path, so I am very grateful for the effort they have made. I am not sure where I would have been without them as I have been receiving a lot of help from them, including enrolling me at the HEART Trust/NTA to be trained in general construction,” he noted.The sensitisation sessions are a follow-up to Anti-Gang Week held in September, where the Ministry coordinated activities under the theme ‘Gang Life Equals no Life,’ and targeted youths who are predisposed to involvement in gangs. The Ministry of National Security has intensified its efforts to tackle youth involvement in crime with the recent staging of six anti-gang sensitisation sessions. Story Highlights Focus was placed on equipping the participants with life and entrepreneurial skills and conflict resolution techniques.last_img read more

MacGregor RollsRoyce to Explore Autonomous Boxships

first_imgzoom MacGregor and Rolls-Royce have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to collaborate on research and development aimed at exploring the implications in autonomy for cargo ship navigation and cargo systems onboard containerships.The collaboration between MacGregor, a provider of engineering solutions and services for the offshore and marine industries, and engineering company Rolls-Royce is expected to lay the groundwork for the development of autonomous containerships.“Rolls-Royce is pioneering remotely controlled and autonomous ships and believes such a remote controlled ship will be in commercial use by the end of the decade and a common sight on the high seas by 2030,” Asbjørn Skaro, Rolls-Royce, Director Digital and Systems, said. “For the full benefits of such a change to be realised, many activities currently done today manually will need to be done autonomously. This research will help us explore how that might be achieved,” Skaro added.“In the segments where we (MacGregor) operate, we see a lot of unnecessary waste in the forms of inefficiency, damage to cargo, and continuously dangerous working conditions. Our aim is to minimise this waste from the value network,” Pasi Lehtonen, Senior Vice President, Strategy, Business Development and Marketing, MacGregor, explained.According to MacGregor, in the new era known as the fourth industrial revolution, the increasing amount of data will offer great opportunities for offshore and marine industries with access to real-time information. Connectivity will enable remote diagnostics and control and gradually autonomous vessel operations.The development of new solutions and services, which will be a mix of hardware and software, will be based on the approach of identifying where unnecessary industry waste is taking place, MacGregor said.Earlier this month, Rolls-Royce received an approval for a research grant by Tekes – the Finnish Funding Agency for Innovation, supporting its aim to make remote and autonomous shipping a reality. The company said that the funding would enable it to further invest in a research and development centre in Turku, Finland.last_img read more