“It will be very difficult to attract investment without a bank.”RESIDENTS groups from county towns affected by the pending closure of AIB branches are awaiting feedback following meetings with senior management in which cases for the retention of the banks were put forward.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up AIB took the decision to close eight branches in Limerick city and county by the end of next year, but locals have refused to lie down under the move.Following a public meeting, it was decided that five concerned Foynes residents would meet with the manager of the Newcastle West branch, James Stanton, and the regional manager, Gene McPolin.One of the representatives, Margaret O’Shaughnessy, Director of the Foynes Flying Boat Museum said:“The managers came to us in Foynes and we presented them with a 12 point argument as to why the closure of the local branch should be reconsidered.Speaking to the Limerick Post she added:“If the closures go ahead there will be only one branch on the N69 between Listowel and Limerick, a 63km stretch, while the N21 has one in every town.“Foynes is a major port town and there are huge plans to develop it through the port company but it will be very difficult to attract investment without a bank”.She said that the Foynes branch should have been profitable, with at least 60 local business accounts based there, as well as “countless employees’ personal accounts at the branch.“A mobile bank wouldn’t suffice for our needs and it will be a knock for tourism to not have a branch here.“There are also security issues related to the closure as businesses will have to travel long distances with cash in tow to lodge it.“We asked what savings would be made from closing the branch, as AIB own the building.“We also asked what facilities will be provided at the post office, because we have yet to hear of details of this arrangement”.Ms. O’Shaughnessy said that the group had been happy to have the initial meeting and to be listened to but understood that it would be some time before feedback would be received from the bank.Representatives of the Drumcollogher branch of the AIB also met with officials. Print Advertisement Facebook Email Linkedin WhatsApp Twitter NewsLocal NewsFeedback awaited following local meetings with AIBBy admin – August 29, 2012 735 Previous articleNo decision yet on the implementation of a property tax – NoonanNext articleManager makes new appointments admin
INDEPENDENCE, Iowa – Dana Benning returns to the helm at Independence Motor Speedway in 2015, this time with a partner.Benning and son Brady comprise B & D Promotions, which will oversee events at the 3/8-mile semi-banked clay oval. “It’s exciting to come back,” said Benning, who had promoted Independence from 2000-2002. “We put new lighting in 15 years ago and that was a starting point for improvements made since then. The facility has been much updated, so it’s kind of like walking into a turnkey operation.”A new victory lane and continued work on the racing surface are on the more immediate agenda at Indee with a new front straight catch fence in future plans.“There isn’t a lot of work that has to be done to the facility,” acknowledged Benning, most recently event manager at Benton County Speedway. “What we need to do is polish the show and make sure it continues being the best in Eastern Iowa.” Five sanctioned divisions, the IMCA Xtreme Motor Sports Modifieds, IMCA Late Models, IMCA Sunoco Stock Cars, IMCA Sunoco Hobby Stocks and Karl Chevrolet Northern SportMods, return to Saturday programs at Independence. IMCA Speedway Motors Weekly Racing national and regional, and Allstar Performance state points will be awarded at April 11 and April 18 when the Modifieds, Stocks, Hobbies and SportMods, along with non-sanctioned micro mods, see their first action of the new season. The local track point season runs from April 25 through Aug. 29th. Independence has sanctioned its Modifieds with IMCA since 1984. IMCA Late Models made their first local appearance in 1987. Stock Cars have been sanctioned with IMCA since 1994, the Hobby Stocks continuously since 2002 and the Northern SportMods since 2008. “There was no thought of any other sanctioning body. Independence is and always will be an IMCA track,” Benning said. “A person would be foolish to change what works.”The Deery Brothers Summer Series for Late Models comes to town on Wednesday, July 8, during the Buchanan County Fair.
Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said that Hyun-Jin Ryu might start the game on normal rest Wednesday in case Beckett can’t pitch.“I think we have to leave him as a possibility,” Mattingly said. “He’d be healthy for it.”Other than a lousy first inning in which he allowed three runs — and his miscue in the field — Beckett was encouraged by his rehab start. He said his fastball read 92-94 mph on the radar gun in the 75-pitch outing.“I felt like I had good power stuff,” he said. “The changeup was good. The cutter was suspect. It was all and all pretty good. The first inning I was all over the place. After that I settled down.”Mondesi returns Josh Beckett is on track to make his 2014 debut Wednesday against the Detroit Tigers after throwing a normal bullpen session Sunday at Dodger Stadium.The veteran right-hander has been on the 15-day disabled list with a right thumb contusion since the season began. The thumb wasn’t an issue when Beckett pitched a minor-league rehab game Friday for Single-A Rancho Cucamonga, but he aggravated something in his right calf/ankle area fielding a bunt attempt after his final pitch.“I had some swelling in my ankle. My calf was barking a little bit too,” Beckett said Sunday. “We kind of ruled that out. The calf got better with some treatment yesterday, some ice last night. … The ankle feels perfect.”Beckett threw for about 15 minutes with head athletic trainer Stan Conte watching. He described the session as “pretty normal.” Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Former Dodgers outfielder Raul Mondesi said he hadn’t been to Los Angeles for four years prior to Sunday, but might need to come back sooner.Mondesi is nearly four years into a six-year term as mayor of San Cristobal, his home town of 275,000 people on the south coast of the Dominican Republic. In addition to throwing out the ceremonial first pitch, Mondesi organized a clothing drive outside Dodger Stadium to benefit the people of San Cristobal.“I hope (the fans) bring a lot of clothes,” he said. “There are a lot of poor people back home. I’ll try to do this. I’ll probably go back to Toronto next month, try to do the same. It’s tough back home. We don’t have ambulances. A lot of people die because of that.” Mondesi said he would return for an encore if Sunday’s clothes drive went well.The 43-year-old Mondesi entered into politics after he retired with the Atlanta Braves in 2005. He played for the Dodgers from 1993-99, winning the National League Rookie of the Year award in 1994. Could he have imagined being mayor of his hometown when his baseball career began?“No,” Mondesi said. “It feels like a dream to me.”Minor tradeIn a move designed to add depth to their left-handed relief corps, the Dodgers acquired left-hander Colt Hynes from the Cleveland Indians for minor-league pitcher Duke von Schamann on Sunday.Hynes, 28, was assigned to Triple-A Albuquerque. To make room for Hynes on the 40-man roster, outfielder Mike Baxter was designated for assignment.Baxter appeared in parts of four games with the Dodgers, going 0 for 7 with a walk, before being optioned to Albuquerque to make room for Matt Kemp on the active roster.Hynes appeared in 38 games last season for Triple-A Tucson last year, a San Diego Padres affiliate, all in relief. He posted a 1.82 earned-run average and struck out 42 in 35 innings. In 22 major-league appearances with the Padres, he allowed 17 runs in 17 innings; lefties batted .156 off him (5 for 32) while righties batted .476 (20 for 42).The Padres traded Hynes to Cleveland for cash last October. In six Cactus League appearances with the Indians, Hynes allowed seven runs in five innings, walking three and striking out five.Hynes adds depth to a depleted Dodgers relief corps. Mattingly said that left-handed relievers Scott Elbert and Onelki Garcia haven’t had any setbacks as they attempt to return from elbow surgeries. However, both pitchers began the season on the 60-day disabled list and can’t be activated before May 19. Hynes gives the Dodgers an immediate option in case of an injury to J.P. Howell or Paco Rodriguez, the only left-handed relievers on the active roster.AlsoPitcher Chad Billingsley faced six batters in a rehab start for Rancho Cucamonga on Sunday before, according to multiple reports, he was removed complaining of pain in his right elbow. Billingsley was scheduled to throw two innings in his first rehabilitation start since undergoing Tommy John surgery on the elbow last April.Billingsley allowed two runs (one earned), with one walk and one strikeout.