Failed execution attempt suspects remanded

first_img…alleged mastermind released on station bailTwo men, who allegedly failed in their attempt to kill a Chinese businessman in Corriverton, were refused bail when they appeared at the Mibicuri Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday.Sheldon Adams of Lodge, Georgetown; and Delwin December, of Work-en-Rust, Georgetown, appeared before Magistrate Alex Moore and denied they unlawfully wounding Jili Sun at Springlands, Berbice, on February 14.Sun was hit in the face with a hammer when the suspects allegedly attacked him at his business premises. The two were also jointly charged with larceny from the person. It is alleged that on the same day and at the same time, they stole one cellular phone worth $100,000 from Chan Xai Wang.Police Prosecutor, Inspector Orin Joseph in his submissions told the court that a medical certificate shows Sun suffered a fractured skull and other injuries.He objected to bail on the grounds that the Police are in possession of statements – both written and recorded – from both accused, confessing to the offences.Prosecutor Joseph informed the court that Adams was apprehended in a car and there was what appeared to be blood on the front passenger seat. He also informed the court that when December was arrested, there was what appeared to be blood on his shoe.He said Police and civilians placed both accused at the scene. Further, he noted that by the utterances of the accused saying they had an altercation with the victim, placed them at the scene.He said Sun was still in medical danger.However, Adams in a bail application on his own behalf told the court that the caution statement has nothing to do with the charges before the court but rather an altercation with the Chinese national.Magistrate Moore remanded the duo to prison. The case will continue on April 8 at the Springlands Magistrate’s Court.This newspaper had previously reported that the two men had allegedly hit the businessman in his face with a hammer in what was believed to be a robbery attempt at Skeldon. They later reportedly confessed that it was a case of being hired to kill the businessman.On Thursday last, the duo allegedly drove up in a heavily tinted Toyota Premio motorcar and entered the window-making factory. Guyana Times was told that the men allegedly walked up to the businessman and reportedly hit him to the face with a hammer.According to reports, the men were seen rushing out of the building and hurriedly entering the waiting car before it sped away. The businessman was rushed to the Skeldon Hospital where he was admitted.Meanwhile, based on the description of the vehicle and the licence plate given to Police by persons in the area, a car was intercepted at a roadblock on the Corentyne. According to Police, only the driver was in the vehicle and his address was given as Lodge, Georgetown. However, at Number 50 Village, Police arrested another man who could not give a reasonable explanation for being in Berbice. He is from Werk-en-Rust, Georgetown.On Friday, a Police source informed this publication that both men confessed that they were reportedly promised to be paid by a Corriverton businessman to kill the Chinese businessman.It had also been reported that the Police were able to arrest the businessman.However, on Tuesday, senior Police sources in the division have expressed disappointment over what they call external interference after they were allegedly ordered to release the businessman on station bail.Reports are the businessman allegedly owes the Chinese businessman some $4 million for windows he had credited.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *