F1 continues push into America as Miami approves grand prix plans

first_img Can Formula One’s American takeover fuel a long-awaited US expansion? Formula One 2018 Share via Email There was an early hiccup in preparations for the race however, when the reigning champion, Lewis Hamilton, criticised F1 for failing to consult drivers on the layout for the Miami circuit. “You have not got any of the top racing drivers in history having ever designed a race track, and I don’t get it,” he told reporters on Thursday, before Miami’s commissioners made their announcement. “Not that any of us are designers, but they haven’t asked for our input. “Miami is a super-cool place and I was very excited to hear about it, but when I saw the layout I was like, meh. I think it could be a lot more fun.”Liberty Media, the American company that took over F1 before the 2017 season, has wanted a second race in the US to join the US Grand Prix in Austin, Texas. Suarez noted that the race faced very little opposition in the public comment period at Thursday’s commission meeting. Suarez said the city and F1 will work to address any concerns about traffic and noise in from residents. The proposed Miami Grand Prix would include a business partnership with Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross to promote and stage the race. Suarez has said he expects “99%” of financing for a Miami race to come from private sources with any city funds to be under $500,000.The decision is the latest boost for the sports scene in Miami. Earlier this year, David Beckham’s plans to start an MLS club in the city were given the go ahead. Share on WhatsApp Read more … we have a small favour to ask. More people, like you, are reading and supporting the Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism than ever before. And unlike many news organisations, we made the choice to keep our reporting open for all, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.The Guardian will engage with the most critical issues of our time – from the escalating climate catastrophe to widespread inequality to the influence of big tech on our lives. At a time when factual information is a necessity, we believe that each of us, around the world, deserves access to accurate reporting with integrity at its heart.Our editorial independence means we set our own agenda and voice our own opinions. Guardian journalism is free from commercial and political bias and not influenced by billionaire owners or shareholders. This means we can give a voice to those less heard, explore where others turn away, and rigorously challenge those in power.We hope you will consider supporting us today. We need your support to keep delivering quality journalism that’s open and independent. Every reader contribution, however big or small, is so valuable. Support The Guardian from as little as $1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you. Support The Guardian Lewis Hamilton Since you’re here… Mayor Francis Suarez (@FrancisSuarez)Happy that our commission approved legislation allowing the administration to negotiate with @F1. This is an important step in bringing to #Miami one of the most popular sports in the world, with 1.8 billion TV viewers annually and billions of dollars in economic benefits. pic.twitter.com/7qqlqssiK0May 10, 2018 Miami’s city commissioners have voted unanimously to enter formal negotiations with Formula One to host a race as early as next year.The vote on Thursday allows Miami officials to work out a contract with F1 that could be voted on later this summer. It was considered the key step toward establishing a race F1 has been pushing for as it seeks to expand its footprint in the United States. Florida Formula Onecenter_img US sports news Topics Share on Messenger Share on Facebook Share on Pinterest Motor sport A Miami Grand Prix would give F1 a coveted race in a city with international interest for fans as well as a striking backdrop for television audiences. “This is an important step in bringing to Miami one of the most popular sports in the world, with 1.8 billion TV viewers annually and billions of dollars in economic benefits,” wrote Miami’s mayor, Francis Suarez, on Twitter. Share on Twitter Miami Share on LinkedIn Reuse this contentlast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *