Ben Chilwell back in England training as whole squad test negative for coronavirus | Football News

first_imgThe Premier League is confident there is currently no risk that any of this weekend’s matches will have to be postponed, despite a significant spike in the number of positive coronavirus cases.Sixteen positive cases were recorded in the last seven days involving players or staff inside Premier League clubs – four times as many failed tests compared to the previous week, and six times higher than any other week since the extensive testing at clubs began at the start of September. – Advertisement – The Chelsea left-back is fit enough to return to training alongside his team-mates, but it remains unclear whether he will feature against Iceland on Wednesday. Ben Chilwell has returned to England training following a back spasm, as all 22 players in the squad tested negative for coronavirus.Chilwell picked up the injury in Sunday’s 2-0 defeat to Belgium, which ended England’s hopes of reaching the Nations League finals.- Advertisement – Kick off 7:45pmcenter_img That figure does not include players who have tested positive for the virus whilst away with their international teams. There have been a number of high-profile cases that cannot yet be included in the Premier League’s statistics.Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah and Arsenal’s Mohamed Elneny have both tested positive while away with Egypt, as has Tottenham and Republic of Ireland defender Matt Doherty, who will miss Saturday’s game against Manchester City.On Tuesday morning, the FAI confirmed there have been no more positive tests in the run-up to their Nations League game against Bulgaria on Wednesday night.- Advertisement – Wednesday 18th November 7:00pm Ben Chilwell (R) was injured during the Nations League match between Belgium and England on SundayImage:Chilwell receiving treatment during the defeat on Sunday – Advertisement –last_img read more

Raiders put poor Eels to the sword

first_imgIn tough conditions, the Raiders showed superior game management to capitalise on the errors which plagued the performance of the visitors.Fullback Clint Gutherson completed a successful return from his ACL injury, but it proved little consolation as Parramatta’s losing streak stretched to six games.For the hosts, the victory was built off excellent scrambling defence and using the conditions to their advantage as a crowd of 12,328 celebrated back-to-back wins.Conditions took a turn for the worst after just six minutes when GIO Stadium was drenched in rain, forcing the sides into an arm-wrestle in the early exchanges.The Raiders upped the pressure early, after a bone-crunching Luke Bateman tackle on Bevan French forced him back into the in-goal.From the subsequent set, the Raiders worked the ball to the right allowing Jordan Rapana to dive over from close range on the short side to make the score 4-0.Another Eels penalty laid the platform for the Raiders to march downfield, with a Blake Austin dummy opening up a gaping hole in the visitor’s defence.Jarrod Croker added the extras and the Raiders took a handy 10-0 lead after 20 minutes.Parramatta’s task became harder when lock Tepai Moeroa came from the field over HIA concerns and failed to return.The Eels finally got their hands on the ball in red zone thanks to four penalties and two line-drop outs, but the home side bared its teeth in defence and kept Parramatta out.The desperate Eels threw plenty at the Raiders line just before the break, before a point-blank penalty from Mitchell Moses saw them open their account to make it 10-2 at half-time.The resumption of play also saw the rain return, as Parramatta’s penalty count for the game hit nine to gift Croker an easy shot at goal to make it 12-2.The Raiders looked certain to score after a clean line break by Siliva Havili saw the home crowd rise as one, before a bizarre passage of play which saw the ball travel backwards 20 metres, easing the pressure on the Eels.Off the back of yet another Parramatta turnover the Raiders again marched downfield before Josh Papalii barged his way over in his return to the NRL as the Raiders scored a vital try to stretch the lead to 16 points.Referee Matt Cecchin had seen enough after the Eels’ 10th penalty of the game with Daniel Alvaro sent to the sin-bin in the 55th minute.The Eels grimly defended their line despite being a man down, to keep their faint chances of victory alive as Alvaro returned to the field.Gutherson pulled off a stunning try-saving tackle when the Eels fullback wrapped up Dunamis Lui over the line but the chances for the away side were running out along with the time left.It was the Raiders’ turn to lose a man to the sin-bin after Bateman was sent, with Eels centre Kirisome Auva’a denied a try from the bunker in the 70th minute.last_img read more